This AC Delco generator was used by the Dignam family for household power in the 1940s and 1950s. These generators were manufactured in the USA from the 1930s and were widely used by the US army in Australia during World War II.
Electricity did not become available for the general community on Lord Howe Island until 1953 when the Department of Transport installed large generators to power air navigation equipment. Up until then the island community relied upon smoking and salting meat, or ice chests for keeping food.
This generator has been part of the museum’s collection for some 20 years. Funds were used to engage local mechanic, Bing Simpson, to give the generator conservation treatment to limit future oxidation and preserve the original character.